Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rabble

To whom it may concern,

I recently received a notice via door hanger regarding the pet waste and cigarette butt disposal problem at the Dilapidated Dale apartment complex. I appreciate action regarding this problem; however, I am concerned with the approach apartment complex management has chosen to take.

I agree improperly discarded pet and tobacco waste make the grounds of these apartments unattractive and the apartments themselves less attractive to current and potential residents. Furthermore, I agree the solution to this problem is to deem residents responsible for waste disposal. I do not, however, agree the threat of raising pet rent for all residents is an appropriate way to accomplish this.

My primary concern is that due to the lack of action on the part of management in waste removal, there is no direct cost incurred to the apartment complex due to this problem. Indeed, pet waste in several areas, particularly nearest the building on the side hidden from street view, has never been removed by management. Therefore, raising pet rent for all documented pet owners will be interpreted as a punitive measure and will be associated with no benefit. In addition, no steps will have been taken to actually solve the problem.

Using "pet waste stations" for the disposal of pet waste would be a more direct, productive management solution than posting flyers and raising rent. If such stations exist, they are too far away or not visible enough to residents in the southernmost complex building; I have never seen one. In fact, if necessary to offset the cost, an increase in pet rent would be better received if such a benefit accompanied it.

A lack of grounds and building maintenance is my primary reason for seeking living arrangements elsewhere upon the termination of my lease this year. Management's threat to raise pet rent instead of making progress in this area has not helped to improve my opinion. While many residents clearly don't care, please consider this an opportunity to make real progress toward improvements for those who do. I am a lost cause, but if any remain, you may retain some business.

Respectfully,
Resident of Building 8

No comments: